Proteas' Quinton de Kock apologises for refusing to follow CSA's knee directive

6 months ago 72

In a statement released on Thursday morning, Quinton de Kock apologised to his teammates and to supporters in South Africa, saying that he understood the importance of standing against racism and that he also understood the responsibility of the players setting an example.

 AFP

FILE: South African ODI captain Quinton de Kock addresses a press conference ahead of tomorrow's first one-day international (ODI) cricket match of a three-match series between India and South Africa, at the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium in Dharamsala on 11 March 2020. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - Proteas wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock has issued an apology for refusing to take the knee following a directive by the Cricket South Africa board earlier this week.

De Kock made him unavailable for the ICC Twenty20 Super 12 match against the West Indies on Tuesday following the directive.

The directive was meant to create a unified show of support from the team in the fight against racism.

In a statement released on Thursday morning, De Kock apologised to his teammates and to supporters in South Africa, saying that he understood the importance of standing against racism and that he also understood the responsibility of the players setting an example.

He said that he never wanted to make it a "Quinton issue."

"I did not, in any way, mean to disrespect anyone by not playing against West Indies, especially the West Indian team themselves. Maybe some people don't understand that we were just hit with this on Tuesday morning, on the way to a game. I am deeply sorry for all the hurt, confusion and anger that I have caused," De Kock said in the statement.

Download the Eyewitness News app to your iOS or Android device.

Read Entire Article